Miron Family History
Souche Nlle-FranceHomeCession à DufourPoitouNiort FranceIle MigneronPte-aux-Trembles MtlOutils de recherche
The Catholic church kept good records and much of what is told in this story has been taken from these records and sent to this author by fellow Miron's. Please see the details page to read the actual messages which were sent. Throughout this story, in the future, there should be highlighted links. These links will allow you to continue with the story following that particular ancestors descendants.

This story of the Miron Family begins with Pierre Magneron. His exact date of birth is yet unknown to this author, but what is known is that he lived in the Poitou province of France and married a Marie-Plisson in 1630 in the small village of Sainte Hilaire de Chize. This village is just a few kilometers from Niort, one of the more important places in the old province of Poitou. Pierre had previously been married to a Marie Guilminet and had at least one son from that marriage who migrated to the new world. His name was Jean and he was born in 1626. Marie-Plisson bore Pierre a son in 1639 whom they named Laurent. He was baptized in the small Catholic church of Chize. Strangely the registers of this century note no difference between the names Magneron and Migneron. Laurent was a carpenter by profession.

It was on January 6, 1666, a Wednesday, that Laurent went before lawman, Claude Auber, to make a donation of all he had to Marie Monnier. This was meant as a deposit or guarantee for King Louis XIV. It was at this time that Laurent departed for New France (Novelle France).The exact intent of this donation is not quite clear. It may indicate that Laurent was a soldier by trade.

Laurent settled in the area of Quebec. In his new home Laurent went by the name of Migneron. On March 4, 1666, a mandate of King Louis XIV exercised by a Monseigneur Francois Montmorency de Laval granted Laurent a piece of land north of Quebec City in the parish of Sainte Joachim near Sainte Anne de Beaupre. The registers in the Quebec Seminary, dated 1680, record this land concession as being located just west of the Saint Anne river alongside of the St. Lawrence.

On September 6, 1666, a Thursday, Laurent married Anne St-Denis. Pierre Saint-Denis, the father-in-law, witnessed the ceremony. Both Laurent and Anne signed their names with an X, an indication of their illiteracy. Again, Claude Auber is the lawman. When Laurent married Anne, her parents worked to keep a promise of providing the newlyweds with a milk cow one year later, plus all the garments for the day of marriage.

They began life in a small wooden shack without much in the way of worldly goods. His new wife bore him 4 children, all but their first child survived childhood. The first, Jean, was born in 1669. He was followed by Pierre in 1672. Anne St-Denis passed away while giving birth to their fourth child, Anne St. Denis, in 1674.

Some information about the life of Anne St-Denis has been passed on to this very day. It is recorded that on July 7, 1667 Anne Saint-Denis is taken, along with 3 other women, to the Judge because they have insulted a Nicolas Huot and even have hitten him with wooden sticks. Their sentence required that they stand in front of the Judge of Beaupre, in the presence of 6 witnesses, and beg for their pardon from Huot. There is also a fine of 25 pounds each for moral attack. This information was taken from Hearings and Judgments of the Sovereign Council.

Laurent chose to marry again in 1675, but before he is allowed to marry, he must settle his estate with his children. This happens on May 11, 1675 before a lawyer named Vachon. All of Laurent's property was recorded in this document. It was noted that "on their land, painfully cleared, is a wooden shack in which stands a working fireplace with all the utensils; steel pots, old dishes, plates, a chest with the key in which all the Anne's garments lay." There is no mention of a bed, decorations or religious devices. With respect to livestock there are listed: "2 black cows, 2 bulls, 2 veals and a sow." Again Pierre Sainte-Denis served as a witness for the children. Laurent was granted half of the land while his 3 children received the remainder.

Only when this division of property was complete was Laurent allowed to marry on May 20th. His second wife, Marie Guilluame a Fille du Roy was from La Rochelle and a widow of a Nicolas Maheut. Laurent had 4 more children with his second wife. There was Jean in 1676, Francoise in 1677, Ambroise in 1682, and finally Agnes in 1684. In the census of 1681 Laurent is listed as 42 years old while Marie is 29.

Towards the end of the seventeenth century there is a slow movement of family descendants towards Montreal, which at the time was a crossroads between the fur-rich areas and the east.

Laurent's daughter, Anne Migneron married a a Robert Dufour in 1694. On January 15, 1700, Laurent and Marie Guillaume donated all they had to their daughter Anne and her new husband Dufour.  In exchange the Dufour's agreed to feed, house and care for them, along with their 3 daughters, for the next 3 years. Laurent and Marie also agreed to pay them 1500 pounds per year. After the 3 years, the moment either Laurent or Marie dies, the obligation was to be reduced by half. Laurent died in early 1703 and that is where the fun began, because Anne died soon afterward in 1704. When Dufour remarried to a Louise Gagnon, he wanted to kick Marie, his first wife's mother, out of his home. Marie subsequently took him to Court. In a judgment made on March 3, 1711 the court determined that Dufour would have to respect the terms of the donation. Marie was required to move to the south shore of the Saint Lawrence river or at least out of Saint Joachim. This was the last bit of information we have in regards to this fine, gutsy woman.Laurent lived to see his first son, Pierre, marry Anne Charon in Quebec City on July 7, 1698. Pierre, being quite ill, went to Montreal and passed away on December 20, 1720 and is buried in the cemetery outside the walls of the city.  A priest wrote at the time of his death "came up here with all his family since last spring from Sainte-Foy (near Quebec city).  Deceased last morning with the sacred rites of the church. B. Chize."  Pierre and Anne Charon had eight children, one of which Jacques Charles was born in 1699. Charles established himself in Sainte Francoise de Salas, west of Ile Jesus, which was owned by the Jesuits. He married a Agnes Gareau on September 4, 1719. They ended up having twelve children. Their third child, Anthanese, born in 1739 married Josephite Renaud on January 8th of the year 1759; a year remembered by the French of Quebec as "l'année terrible," because of the invasion of the British into their homelands. Their marriage is registered in Terrebonne (Good Earth).

One of this Miron's (Migneron's) sons was also named Jean-Baptiste. It is during this ancestors' lifetime that the name Miron first was adapted by our family. On his marriage certificate the name of the father of the groom is listed as Migneron, while that of the groom is listed as Miron. This may have been an error in understanding made by an official or priest. It was around this time, throughout Quebec, that the name Migneron had it's spelling changed to Miron. Although there are some for whom the spelling was not changed, in the majority of cases the spelling was changed on official records. The reason for the change is unclear, but may have been due to the new British Civil Administration. Our family name Miron, to this day, is often mispronounced by non-French English speakers as Myron.  Whatever the reason, Jean-Baptiste Migneron became Jean Baptiste Miron when he married Marie Saucier in Sainte-Anne-de-Plaines on the 12th of October in the year 1818.   (Source:  Michael Miron)
Migneron/Miron en Nouvelle-France | Home Page | Propriété Paternelle | Région Niort en Poitou, France | Arrondissement de Niort | Ile Migneron | Pointe-aux-Trembles, Mtl | Dépouillement Généalogique - Outils

Starfield Technologies, Inc.